Hawaii’s whale season officially begins in December and Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea is already prepared to welcome these spectacular marine creatures while providing guests with aquatic, air and land-based experiences that are not to be missed.
The Resort’s concierge team can customise a whale watching itinerary to help guests enjoy experiencing these gentle giants of the sea. Here are at least six different unique whale watching encounters available to guests who can enjoy one or more or take advantage of all opportunities. Several are complimentary:
– Kayak Tour: Maui Undersea Adventures, the Resort’s onsite water experts, will educate tour guests on the ocean’s ecosystem, taking in the spectacular vistas of the Wailea coastline while on the hunt for close encounters with the migratory whales.
– Catamaran Sail: The Alii Nui catamaran will take guests on a two-hour whale watching trip in Maui. Whale sightings are guaranteed or guests will be treated to another trip.
– Outrigger Experience: Guests learn the history and the how-to of this Hawaiian paddling sport. The instructors make sure guests keep their eyes and cameras peeled for whale sightings and point out the abundance of sea life – reef fish, sea turtles, manta rays and many other species right below the paddle board. This is a complimentary program.
– Helicopter Tour: From the sky, guests will explore two islands and the whales in between on Sunshine Helicopter’s Molokai tour, taking in the highlights of West Maui, Hawaii’s tallest waterfalls and Molokai’s magnificent sea cliffs.
– Underwater Photography Showcase: Four Seasons Resort Maui has collaborated with the Cesere Brothers, a dynamic photography duo who are “artists in residence” at the Resort and among the few with the authority to swim with and capture the whales’ marine moments through their underwater lens. Recipients of the prestigious 2015 International Photography Award receiving 1st place in the Nature-Underwater category for their winning entry Maui Keiki, the Cesere Brothers showcase their images and engage in conversation with guests every Thursday at the Artists’ Showcase in the Resort’s exquisite open-air gallery.
– Wai Vari Treatment: The Spa’s Wai Vari water treatment therapy is performed by specialised massage therapists in the tropical Pacific Ocean. During the height of whale season, participants are likely to actually hear the whales singing underwater while experiencing this treatment.